Banner image with Turner Lynch Campus Center

Welcome to Fall 2021

Welcome to all the new and returning Stormy Petrels!

As we prepare to re-open our university this fall, I have reflected back to the start of my own college career and one thought truly continues to come to my mind…”What a time to be a student in higher education!” 

These past 18 months have truly been a whirlwind. Starting the 2019-2020 academic year, I can remember being anxious about welcoming in the second decade of the 21st century and what that would mean for us as we move forward in higher education. Yet, we would have not predicted the lessons that occurred as we moved into 2020.

As a child, I can remember hearing my own mother repeat the saying “hindsight is 20/20”; and this phrase is especially true as I look back at this past year. The impact that COVID-19 had on our world is still being felt today. In 2020, our country was traumatized. From stay-at-home orders, mistrust of medical professionals, mass shootings, racial injustice, elections, insurrections, discourse about racial equality – there is truly a lot to unpack. These concerns also reverberated on a global scale as other countries also had to answer similar questions. Thus, bringing me back to my original thought – what does mean to be a student in higher education?

Here at Oglethorpe, I am reminded of our motto “Make a Life. Make a Living. Make a Difference.” As your Dean of Students, I hold this close as we re-open and re-imagine what your campus life experience will be like.

Make a Life: Know that as your Dean of Students, I am committed to listening to you and your concerns to ensure that I can do everything to assist in providing a holistic and authentic experience here on campus. From supporting your co-curricular campus experiences to joining you in community service projects!

Make a Living: The experiences that you have on campus have an impact on you, as you find your value and develop passions for what you want to do after your time at Oglethorpe. This means looking at how we are providing you with the leadership experiences that help you in running your student organization meetings, supporting you in internships, reviewing the importance of your physical and mental health, learning how to have difficult conversations with others, and more.

Make a Difference: Through all of these initiatives, it is more important now than ever to provide and create opportunities that assist in developing passionate leaders empowered to make a difference here at Oglethorpe, in the greater Atlanta communities, and beyond. 

It is by working together that we can truly bring our motto “Make a Life. Make a Living. Make a Difference” to fruition! I look forward to serving you as your Dean of Students and seeing all of the great and wondrous things that will be accomplished during this upcoming year!